What is the big “a-ha moment” with your end users when you first demo your mHealth application for them?
Origin Speech is an integrated solution that sits between the physician and the medical application, and that enables the seamless sharing of data. It is completely web-based and compatible with any electronic medical record. So with this app, physicians can now dictate from anywhere, at any time without needing direct access to a patient’s medical record. Previously, physicians only had the ability to dictate on-site at a workstation. Now, they can dictate from their cars, homes or even while they are on vacation – any location that has an internet connection.
What problems does your app solve in healthcare?
- Increases productivity – By enabling physicians to dictate from anywhere at any time, and the review to happen either immediately or be sent to a transcriptionist, Origin Speech increases productivity for both physicians and their practice management staff.
- Saves time and cuts costs – Clinicians save time by being able to dictate on-the-go and save money by eliminating the need for complex IT setups.
- Improves physician report and letter turnaround times – In most cases, consulting physicians can provide reports and letters to the referring physician on the same day the patient is seen, which results in an enhanced workflow and better patient care.
What are the top three features you view as most important when designing and building a mHealth app for physicians and/or patients?
- Mobile enablement
- Convenience of dictating from anywhere, at anytime
- Enhancing physician productivity
What challenges or needs did you see and/or experience in the industry that drove you to build this application?
There are applications that offer front-end recognition and others that offer back-end recognition, but few that offer both. Physician practices need a combination of technologies to assist with the creation of both medical reports and referring letters. Additionally, there is a lack of applications that allow for multiple methods of dictating, including self-correction. These apps don’t enable the user to send for corrections, they aren’t mobile, and they don’t allow clinicians to use any dictation tool from anywhere at any time. We wanted to lift the technological barriers and provide leading solutions for the medical industry.
Is there a patient component to your app? If so, what role does it play in the patient-care experience?
Although there is no direct patient component to Origin Speech, the app indirectly provides patients with better quality of care by providing referring specialists with letters from consulting specialists in close to real-time. This facilitates both expedited physician communication and faster patient care.
What are the top features/benefits of your app?
- Physicians can dictate using any web browser (with the exception of Safari).
- Physicians are able to dictate in live-mode or send reports to transcriptionists.
- Origin Speech is versatile and can be integrated into any medical application.
- The app saves time, money and expedites patient report and referral letter turnaround times.
In one sentence, tell us what you think the future of mobile health will look like.
Mobile technologies will enable doctors and patients to connect in a multitude of ways, beyond hospital walls, which will provide better healthcare outcomes and patient experiences.