It’s the Holy Grail of customer engagement: seamless, zero-effort journeys across channels that lead to rapid, effective resolutions. For many organisations, it can feel a long way off—but, it could be closer than you think.
At this year’s Nuance Customer eXperience Summit in London on March 10, global customer engagement leaders will gather to explore how, together, we can shape the future of intelligent engagement. We’ll discuss how we can apply breakthrough technology to blur the lines between channels—and to empower skilled customer service professionals to do their jobs better than ever.
It should make for an exciting event; so, as we get ready for the big day, here’s a sneak peek at where some of the discussions might lead us.
From omni-channel to channel-less
As the number of engagement channels has grown—each with its own strengths and weaknesses—organisations have hunted for ways to offer customers convenient access to service while keeping costs under control.
Customer service organisations think in terms of multi-channel strategies. More advanced organisations might even have a genuine omni-channel strategy.
But the truth is customers don’t see ‘channels’, they just see their relationship with the brand. And for that relationship to continue, customers want interactions that are:
- Flexible: Communicating with the brand however they choose, whether it’s by phone, web, live chat, messaging, or any other channel
- Personalised: Being known and understood regardless of which channel they choose
- Interconnected: Moving seamlessly between channels without losing context
Getting all this right will require thinking beyond omni-channel and shaping a future that’s ‘channel-less’. It’s a future where customers can move between channels as needed and have an experience that feels like a single, intelligent conversation rather than a series of separate, disconnected interactions.
And it’s a future that’s already beginning to take shape at ambitious enterprises that are combining intelligent virtual assistants, live chat, SMS, and more to deliver experiences that shift across channels seamlessly. By removing the barriers between these channels, they’re boosting CSAT, conversions, and revenue.
A bright, AI-powered future for agents
In this new era of intelligent engagement, where conversational AI provides a foundation for channel-less customer experiences, life will change for agents too. Far from being replaced by bots, agents will harness the power of AI technologies.
With chatbots, virtual assistants, and other conversational AI services taking care of routine enquiries, and biometrics removing authentication tasks, agents will find a more satisfying role as trusted advisors for the customers who need their expertise and empathy.
Empowered by AI, agents will become more productive and confident, gaining the ability to:
- Predict needs: Using relevant information about each customer to accurately predict their needs, providing value-added service and increasing upsell and cross-sell opportunities
- Accelerate resolutions: Accessing the right information at the right time to deliver fast, effective service, and using personalised training to ramp up their own skills and knowledge
- Personalise experiences: Serving every customer in context and making proactive, personalised recommendations to gain a trusted advisor status
It all adds up to less effort and frustration for agents and customers, which is an ideal recipe for higher CSAT and lower service costs.
The future of intelligent engagement at CXS 2020 EMEA
These are exciting times to work in customer engagement, as we stand on the cusp of a revolution that will change the way we think about and deliver customer service interactions.
If you’d like to join us at the Customer eXperience Summit to explore the technologies and strategies that will shape the future of intelligent engagement—you can apply to attend CXS20 here.