10 things I heard from a CMIO today at HIMSS15

A CMIO shares his perspectives on health IT, physician frustrations, improving patient care, and the art of medicine at HIMSS15
Technology and the Art of Medicine

There’s no doubt about it: the energy is palpable at HIMSS15.  More than 40,000 people are currently wandering the McCormick Place showroom floor, from C-suite executives, to new start-up health IT developers, all talking, collaborating, and thinking about what comes next for the industry.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Brian Yeaman, CMIO, Norman Physician Hospital Organization, about the different changes, challenges, and opportunities we face in health IT.  Here are some highlights:

  1. “In an average 12-hour shift, a physician may have 80-90 logins to the computer. Think of all the keystrokes in between. That’s why they have no time to interact with patients or each other.”
  2. “It used to be the doctor, the patient, and the paper chart. Now we have the doctor, the patient and up to 15 real-time sources creating a data overload, but no point of truth.”
  3. “The government has created chaos to a delicate system. With MU, PQRS, payment changes and ICD-10, it’s like turning on 700 knobs at once. You can’t tell which of those made a difference.”
  4. “What a physician says to another physician or even to the patient to support continuum of care is not something you’d say to a coder or analyst.”
  5. “80 percent of documentation is formatted or copied from other parts of the EMR. That leaves only 20 percent to tell the patient story, and you can’t ask doctors to type it so that story is lost.”
  6. “Voice recognition helps overcome the shortcomings of today’s highly templated world.”
  7. “HIMSS is great for meeting friends and former colleagues. Healthcare IT is a small world.”
  8. “Ever since CPOE, no one is doing the “reason for consultation,” so you have no idea why a patient is coming in to see you. You try to read the notes, but you can’t find it in there. You might see they had a head trauma, but you’re a GI doctor. Then you have to ask the patient if they know why there seeing a GI specialist and they’ll have no idea. Using voice to capture comments from physicians gives the next physician the color that is otherwise lost.”
  9. “What I miss with typed notes is the expansion of my clinical thought process, expanding a clinical impression—that is the art of what we do, that’s what makes us different from computers and machines.  That’s what I like about voice technology.  We’re capturing patient data but the art of what we do as physicians isn’t lost.”
  10. “The EHR at times has come between patients and physicians, but being able to step back and use technology like voice recognition means that we are spending more face-to-face time with our patients.  Not only is the quality of the note more robust, we’re back to practicing the art of medicine, and we are fully present in the exam room with our patients— making sure they are heard.  I think it’s that’s a big win.”


Tags: ,