As patients take increasingly active, hands-on roles in their healthcare—truly becoming part of the care team—they need immediate, reliable access to the medical records, test results, and care plans so they can continue to advocate for themselves.
With the Epic MyChart Patient Portal, healthcare organizations enable exactly that: secure, online, on-demand access to their health information. But as we have written over the last several weeks, it isn’t enough to simply turn on the portal and assume patients will have positive, engaging experiences that keep them coming back. From choosing the features that drive adoption to attaining and maintaining organizational buy-in, there can be a lot to manage—including, perhaps especially, the need and ability to resolve your patients’ questions in real-time.
Consider the patient who’s trying to log into their MyChart on Saturday evening and has forgotten their username and/or password and has been waiting for important lab results. Likewise, patients may have trouble navigating the self-service tools for refilling prescriptions or requesting appointments. They need to reach out to someone for support in that moment or chances are good that they’ll leave the site and not return, meaning your organization is less likely to achieve your meaningful use goals.
Thus, the focus of the final chapter in our series, “Making the most of your Epic MyChart Patient Portal,” is to answer this key question: how do you help your patients utilize MyChart whenever, wherever, they need help? The allure of a patient portal is its around-the-clock accessibility, but most IT departments are simply not structured to operate and respond to patients in this way.
The answer lies in a real-time, patient-centric support model. Supporting your patients in this way helps encourage adoption of the key features and builds confidence and trust in a well-defined patient portal and, by extension, your office. When you’re evaluating your options, look for a partner who becomes an extension of your own team and shares your view of patient care. In addition, look for a partner who:
- Knows and understands Epic MyChart, through and through, and can help optimize the development of the patient portal to align with your patient engagement objectives.
- Understands how to help build a successful cross-departmental committee and gain buy-in for maximum results
- Acts as an extension of your organization’s patient-centric culture to help navigate billing, prescription refills, e-Visits, eCheck-in processes, and more
- Provides certified, bilingual representatives to resolve your patients’ inquiries through omni-channel communication 24/7/365
- Can organize, manage, and support customized outreach campaigns to your patients to help make the most of your investment
- Resolves patients’ questions quickly and successfully: within an average of 60 seconds on the phone, and in less than two hours via email
Healthcare is, and always will be, personal. When we have questions about our health, we need answers urgently, and not just during “normal” business hours. Make the most of your Epic MyChart patient portal investment by meeting your patients where they are with timely, effective support as they navigate the valuable tools you’ve given them. At the end of the day, you’ll create happier, healthier patients who are actively engaged in their care.
Learn more about the Nuance Epic MyChart Service Desk, and hear from our customer, Dr. Stephanie Lahr, CMIO from Regional Health, about how the service has improved their patients’ experience using, and adopting the patient portal.