What does this app do?
At Metrix Health, we believe that physician productivity is an enabler of more effective, safer patient care. Metrix Surgery is a comprehensive platform that maximizes intraoperative productivity, collaboration, and medical error reduction.
- On the client side, Metrix Surgery consists of three core components: Metrix Dictate, Metrix Consult, and Metrix Replay.
- On the provider side, we have a HIPAA-compliant physician portal for secure review and discussion of intraoperative videos for surgical training purpose.
Metrix Dictate: For immediate post-procedure and point-of-care dictation
- Hands-free, accurate and secure medical dictation that utilizes the Nuance Speech Anywhere in conjunction with Google Glass
- Visual patient summary cards via barcode scan both retrieves patient information from medical record and displays the surgical site, surgical procedure and any allergies – directly on the heads-up display of the surgeon via Google Glass
- Wrong Site, Wrong Patient surgeries are “never events”
- Visual Patient Safety Timeout via Glass may prevent these tragedies
How it Works:
- Surgeon verbally launches the app by saying “ok glass, Metrix Dictate”
- Scans patient ID bracelet by looking through heads-up display (HUD) on Glass
- Secure barcode scan of patient ID bracelet retrieves visual summary care about the patient immediately prior to surgery
– Medical timeouts are no longer based on just name and Medical Record Number (MRN) – also uses photos and visual information to confirm patient identity
– Physician can dictate
- Secure transmission directly to on-site EMR (in development)
Metrix Replay: A hands-free application for recording high-definition, first-person videos of surgical cases for surgical training, academic/clinical discussion, and for compiling operative analytics (i.e. case volume, case mix)
- Hands free user interface (UI)
- Voice-controlled zoom
- Secure transmission of 256-bit AES encrypted videos to on-premises or cloud-based SharePoint site for our clients
- Audio indexing of user videos using Nuance Speech Anywhere technology for captioning and analytics of each video
Metrix Consult: HIPAA-compliant, multi-point teleconferencing on Google Glass, including direct Glass to Glass real-time conferences
- Allows users to make point-to-point calls or multipoint videoconference meetings from their desktop machines, tablets and smartphones, H323/SIP equipped meeting rooms and from traditional phone lines
- Obtain intraoperative video consults to radiology, pathology and specialty surgeons in real-time
What challenges or needs did you see/experience in the healthcare industry that drove you to build this application?
- As a physician, I’m often frustrated by how existing healthcare technology is often a barrier to effective patient care and impedes clinical productivity.
- The documentation of operative notes is critically important but time-intensive, so busy surgeons often dictate notes much later from memory – which can lead to inaccuracies and is detrimental for patient care/provider efficiency and patient safety.
What is the big “A-ha! moment” for your end users when you first demo your app for them?
- The overall ease-of-use for professionals who require hands-free applications, the productivity gains of smart eyeglasses are potentially endless.
- When surgeons realize how seamless and easy it is to verbally dictate their lengthy operative notes while scrubbing out immediately after a procedure, they marvel at the difference it makes in their productivity.
What inspires you when creating an mhealth app?
- Improving patient outcomes and improving provider efficiency simultaneously
- Preventing potentially fatal medical errors through efficient, accurate documentation and communication. The numbers don’t lie:
- “Communication error was a causal factor in 43% of surgical errors.”
– Gawande AA, Zinner MJ, Studdert DM, et al. Analysis of errors reported by surgeons at three teaching hospitals. Surgery 2003; 133: 614-21.
- “In 16,000 hospital deaths, communication errors were twice as common as inadequate skill.”
– Wilson RM, Runciman WB, Gibberd RW, et al. The Quality in Australian Health
Care Study. Med J Aust 1995; 163: 458-71.
How has Nuance technology changed your app?
- When it comes to medical dictation, physicians know Nuance speech recognition technology as most trusted and highest quality software on the market. By fully integrating it into our offerings, we are able to provide a more physician-optimized product without sacrificing quality.
- By partnering with Nuance to integrate their best medical offering into our platform, we were able to focus our efforts on optimizing the experience for physicians and patients – not trying to reengineer technologies that are not our core focus.
- With Nuance speech recognition fully integrated, Metrix Surgery has the potential to train more technically proficient surgeons with greater proficiency in clinical documentation—it’s truly a win-win for patient care and physician productivity.
Do you have a customer quote about your app?
“By incorporating photographic patient identification, surgical site verification checkpoints, and streamline documentation, Metrix Surgery has the potential to reduce the frequency of wrong site surgeries, one of the most common sentinel events identified by the Joint Commission in 2013.”
-Michael Delong, MD, UCLA Plastic Surgery, Resident-Physician
How does this particular app help remove the barrier between the patient and physician?
- Enables physicians to clinically document in less time
- Physicians have more time to spend in the OR and treating patients at the bedside, and spend less time catching up on notes
Does your app integrate with any patient-facing apps as well?
- We have a patient portal under development for Metrix Replay that will enable cosmetic surgeons to walk their patients through the procedure via first-person perspective.
- Our platform helps physicians allay patient anxiety with videos that show procedures and what the patient can expect.
Does it communicate with other health devices or apps?
- We have an API for third party equipment manufacturers (i.e. ultrasound, endoscopy, etc) to securely transmit their videos to our portal for indexing with Nuance-driven transcriptions.
- We are working on full integration with multiple EMR vendors into the on-site workflow for a seamless user experience.
What is your vision for how this particular app can evolve over the next 5 years?
- Our vision is enable all device manufacturers to work together to provide concise video-based context to every procedure, which is indexed and captioned using Nuance speech recognition technology.
- We are striving to create a fully-automated user portal through which physicians can see their case mix, operative time, anesthesia time, and number of other key provider metrics.
- We hope to invert the documentation paradigm and provide physicians with better software to improve the quality and speed of documentation, so they can focus on doing what they do best – being outstanding caregivers.
In one sentence, tell us what you think the future of mobile health will look like.
We feel the future of mHealth is in real-time, point of care applications with robust back-end analytics that improve overall quality to the patient while concurrently improving provider productivity.